Tuesday, February 28, 2012

How To Tie Your Running (or ANY!!!) Shoes

Wait, you put on your socks before you put on your shoes!? I've had it wrong all of this time!
Think tying your shoes is so easy? Do your shoes always come untied when you're running, heck, all of the time!? Have you been teaching your children the wrong way to tie their shoes the whole time?

Close your eyes and picture this scenario (OK, closing your eyes would make it impossible to read this post, just keep them open).

So you're running along on Saturday or Sunday morning on your weekend long run, and this week is your longest yet. You've been running for [insert time], and you still have [insert number] miles until you get home. Your brain is numb, and thankfully so because any disruption would bring your long run to a screeching halt.

Dammit! One (or both) of your shoes came untied! You bend down, re-tie them, this time with the evil double-knot, and attempt to stand up and get moving again. A small tear runs down your face.

Don't worry, you're "knot" alone (couldn't resist). I hate tying my shoes so much that I don't wear shoes with laces. I'm not kidding. None of my dress shoes have laces. I hate them. I'm not the trendiest guy in the coffee shop, I know, but who cares.

However, I do eventually need to lace up my running shoes, and for years I've gone along with the evil double knot. Luckily, astrophysicist Ethan Siegel (Starts With A Bang - almost worth going just to see his profile picture) created this handy flowchart of what we are doing wrong. This short video from Runner's World is sure to evoke a chorus of headslaps, as well.


If you ARE like me, you've been using the "granny knot" and have been tying and re-tying your shoes all of these years for no reason. With one slight adjustment at the end of your shoe tying routine, you, too, can tie the "reef knot" and continue your run without worrying about footwear.



Happy shoe-tying!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add to the conversation!